Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Historical Society Trip.

Condensed verison of the reason for the story in the first place: My history class has to write a term paper. Woopie... (Can you hear the enthusiasm in my voice?) My topic is Women's Roles as Spies in the Civil War. (Which, actually, is very interesting). I have to get 50 notecards (in other words, 5o quotes about women spies) by THURSDAY. Can you say: EEEEK!!!!

So, today I went to the Historical Society. Spent my time there from 3-5 pm. There was so much to learn. How to call books from the back. What the freaky call numbers/letters meant (i.e. Mss 5 B855067). etc. And THEN I had to wait to actually get the books. So the helper-lady-person brought me a book from the back that I had requested. She handed it to me along with the two Styrofoam wedges used to keep the book from touching the table, and the little bean-bag thing used to keep the pages flat without hurting the book from 1865. I sat down, pencil in hand, excited because finally I can start taking notes and getting information in general, looked down, and then got back up again and went over to the lady's desk. I leaned against her desk and said, "So,....It's in German." Can you believe it? German. (Just my Luck.) The lady said, "Oh, um....Well, let me just find you another book." It turns out that they had a second copy in English, which she found after a little research. I was so grateful.

By the way, I got a grand total of TWO notecards done by five o'clock.

Tomorrow is going to be a lOOOng day.

No comments: